The Battle of Alberta is a term used to describe the intense rivalry between the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, two professional ice hockey teams based in Alberta, Canada. The rivalry is considered one of the fiercest in all of professional sports.
1.The Battle of Alberta: Why the Oilers and Flames are Hockey’s Fiercest Rivalry
The Battle of Alberta is one of the fiercest rivalries in all of hockey. The Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames have been locked in a heated competition since they were both founded in 1972. Both teams are located in Alberta, Canada and they both compete in the same division, which only adds to the intensity of their rivalry. Even though they are both Canadian teams, their fan bases are very different. The Oilers have always been considered a more blue-collar team while the Flames have always been seen as a more white-collar team. This difference is reflected in their home arenas as well, with Rexall Place being seen as more rough and rowdy while Scotiabank Saddledome being perceived as more sophisticated.
This rivalry really intensified during the 1980s when these two teams were consistently among the best teams in hockey. They faced off against each other numerous times during that decade, including three times in the playoffs (1981, 1983, 1986). Each time it was either Calgary or Edmonton who came out on top but neither team was able to win it all until 1988 when Edmonton finally captured its first Stanley Cup championship. That victory sparked a dynasty for Edmonton as they went on to win five more Stanley Cups over t.
2. Reasons to Watch the Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames Rivalry
- The Battle of Alberta is one of the fiercest rivalries in all of hockey. When these two teams meet, it’s always a heated battle.
- The Oilers and Flames have some of the best players in the NHL. Watching them go head-to-head is always a treat for hockey fans.
- These two teams are both from Canada, so there’s extra pride on the line whenever they play each other.
- The Oilers and Flames have a long history, dating back to when they were both part of the World Hockey Association in the 1970s. This adds even more excitement to every game they play against each other.
- The Battle of Alberta is always must-see TV for any hockey fan looking for a great rivalry game.
3. The History of the Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames Rivalry
The two Alberta-based teams, the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, have had a long-standing rivalry that often reaches a fever pitch when the two teams meet on the ice. The Oilers and Flames first faced off in the 1979-80 season when both teams were still in the World Hockey Association (WHA). The first WHA season saw the Oilers win the last ever WHA championship before both teams joined the NHL for the start of the 1980-81 season.
The early days of their NHL rivalry were defined by bad blood on and off the ice. In 1986, during a game in Calgary, an all-out brawl broke out between players from both teams which spilled into the stands and even involved some fans. This fight is often cited as one of, if not THE most violent incident in NHL history.
Overall, though there have been plenty of heated moments between these two rivals over they years, it is generally accepted that their rivalry is more intense than it used to be and doesn’t hold quite as much animus as it did in those early days. Nevertheless, any time these two Alberta rivals meet on home ice, you can bet that there will be plenty of passion on display from players and fans alike!
4. What to Expect When Watching an Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames Game
If you’re a fan of either the Edmonton Oilers or the Calgary Flames, then you know that when these two teams meet up, it’s always an intense rivalry game. No matter what the standings are, these games are always heated and can go either way. Here’s what you can expect when watching an Oilers vs. Flames game:
- Lots of scoring – both teams have high-powered offenses and there is usually no shortage of goals when they play each other.
- Big hits – with such intense competition, expect to see some big hits as players try to gain an edge over their opponent.
- Emotions running high – with the rivalry being so strong between these two teams, emotions will definitely be running high throughout the game. Players may get into altercations on the ice and fans in the stands may be turning on each other as well. Just be prepared for anything!
5. The Best Moments from the Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames Rivalry
The Oilers and Flames have been rivals since the 1980s, when they were both among the best teams in the NHL. The rivalry was at its height in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the two teams met in the playoffs six times.
The most recent playoff meeting between the Oilers and Flames was in 2006, when Edmonton won in six games. The series was notable for a couple of reasons: it was the first time that an eighth seed had beaten a first seed in a best-of-seven series, and it was also the first time that an Alberta team had beaten an Alberta team in the playoffs.
Since then, there have been some great moments in this rivalry:
- The 2014 Heritage Classic: This game was played outdoors at McMahon Stadium in Calgary, and it featured two of the best players from each team: Sidney Crosby for Pittsburgh and Jonathan Toews for Chicago. The game went to overtime, where Crosby scored to give Pittsburgh a 2-1 win. It was one of those rare moments where Crosby actually looked happy on camera!
- Connor McDavid’s Debut: In 2015, #1 overall draft pick Connor McDavid made his much-anticipated debut against Calgary. He didn’t disappoint, putting up two assists as Edmonton won 3-0. It’s only going to get better from here as McDavid becomes one of hockey’s next superstars.
- Milan Lucic vs Matthew Tkachuk: In 2016 Tkachuk delivered a hard (but legal) bodycheck on Oilers defenseman Zack Kassian during a game which set off tempers between him & Milan Lucic resulting multiple fights breaking out on ice & even continuing after both players were ejected from game.