The Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL season opener. Who will come out on top?
The Pittsburgh Penguins are set to take on the Montreal Canadiens in an epic battle of NHL hockey. These two teams have a long history and there is no love lost between them. The penguins are looking to exact some revenge after being embarrassed by the Canadiens in the playoffs last year. This should be a great game with plenty of hard hitting and scoring.
1) The Rivalry between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Montreal Canadiens
- The Pittsburgh Penguins and the Montreal Canadiens have been rivals since the two teams first faced each other in 1967. The two teams have met each other in the playoffs 11 times, with the Penguins winning seven of those series. Both teams are considered to be among the best in the NHL, and their rivalry is one of the most intense in all of sports.
- A hockey game is played between two teams of skaters on a rink. Each team has six players: three forwards, two defensemen, and a goaltender. The objective of the game is to score goals by shooting a puck into the opposing team’s net. The team with more goals at the end of regulation time (60 minutes) wins the game. If there is a tie after regulation time, then overtime periods (of 20 minutes each) are played until one team scores and wins.
2) Who will win this year’s matchup?
There is no clear answer to this question as both teams are evenly matched. It will likely come down to which team can make the most of their opportunities and avoid mistakes. The two teams are evenly matched. They both have strong offenses and defenses. It will be a close game.
3) 5 key players to watch in this year’s rivalry game
- Tom Brady: The Patriots quarterback is the most accomplished player in NFL history and will be looking to add to his legacy with another victory over the Jets.
- Darrelle Revis: The Jets cornerback is one of the best defensive players in the league and will be tasked with slowing down Brady.
- Brandon Marshall: The Jets wide receiver is a big-play threat who can change the game with one catch.
- Rob Gronkowski: The Patriots tight end is one of Brady’s favorite targets and a red-zone nightmare for opposing defenses.
- Rex Ryan: The Jets head coach always has his team ready to play in this rivalry game, regardless of the circumstances.
4) A history of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens
The Pittsburgh Penguins are a professional ice hockey team based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They are members of the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The franchise was founded in 1967 as one of the first expansion teams during the league’s original expansion from six to twelve teams. The Penguins played their home games at Mellon Arena from their founding until 2010. They moved into PPG Paints Arena in 2011.
The Montreal Canadiens (French: Les Canadiens de Montréal) are a professional ice hockey team based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. They are members of the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The club’s official name is le Club de hockey Canadien. The team is frequently referred to in English and French as “the Habs”. French nicknames for the team include Les Glorieux (“The Glory”), Le bleu-blanc-rouge (“The Blue-White-Red”), La Sainte Flanelle (“The Holy Flannel”) and Les Habitants (“The Inhabitants”).